Wednesday, November 28, 2012

So Much to be Thankful For….

DSC_0653Warm

This year was the first year away from family. We were on our own this year. We wanted it to be nice and family oriented but, there was one little problem. I was scheduled to work at the hospital for the day shift. I would be off early afternoon and we made the best of it. (In other words, I did a TON of prep the day before and left a checklist with my husband to do) My husband put the turkey in to bake, peeled the potatoes and started the carrots to cook so that when I got home, we could have a nice Thanksgiving Dinner.

DSC_0647Warm

For the place settings, we used beautiful, simple items. Silver chargers, iron stone white plates, silver silverware and glass water glasses for the famous slush (that we’ve had for as long as I can remember). The silverware were set in a simple holder made from upholstery webbing. The placemats were German cloths.DSC_0640

We made sweet potatoes with marshmallows on top.

DSC_0650Warm

It all smelled so good. I wanted to take a few more pictures but, my husband said, “Can we eat already, I’ve been smelling it all day!” They were ready to eat. LOL

DSC_0655Warm

The cloths are German wash cloths. I didn’t get a picture of the edge where it had the initials (A and K). I didn’t notice what the initials were until my two children with A and K names pointed that out. They thought it was pretty neat. They are beautiful cloths. I can see many dinner parties in their future! Used as runners (as seen here) or folded up beautifully next to a plate.

DSC_0652Warm

DSC_0628Warm

Because we were by ourselves for Thanksgiving, we decided to start a tradition of our own. We decorated on family night, the week before Thanksgiving, a long skinny piece of paper that they had to think about all week and then decide their top 5 favorite things they are thankful for. It was a great idea and the kids were really excited to share. One of the funniest things my 6 year old said he was thankful for was Shrimp. LOL Who knew?

I have so much to be thankful for!

CassySignature2

1 comment:

Allan Dubon said...

This looks like an amazing dinner. I am a big fan of all of it. I particularly enjoyed the silverware holders. They were so simple yet so elegant. Your blog inspires me so often. Thank you for taking time to share this will all of us. Keep up the amazing work!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails